- a fur of young lambs, with lustrous, closely curled wool, from Astrakhan.
- Also called astrakhan cloth. a fabric with curled pile resembling astrakhan fur.
Origin of astrakhan
- a city in the S Russian Federation in Europe, at the mouth of the Volga.
Examples from the Web for astrakhan
Contemporary Examples of astrakhan
Clearly somebody hates journalists who ask questions about the Russian army fighting in Ukraine, and not only in Astrakhan.Violent Assaults on Reporters in Russia Go Unpunished
September 18, 2014
And they may be swaddled in astrakhan when you see them, but not all fashion bloggers have had it easy.Have Fashion Bloggers Gone Too Far?
February 18, 2013
And it was fur of every variety: brushed mohair, alpaca, ponyhair, and astrakhan.Battle of the Giant Furry Mittens: Wang v. Altuzarra
February 10, 2013
Historical Examples of astrakhan
These men had the red stars on their Astrakhan caps and red triangles on their sleeves.Beasts, Men and Gods
We'll go to Astrakhan for fish in the spring, and toward autumn I'll send you to school!Foma Gordyeff
From this point the river is navigable for over two thousand miles to Astrakhan.Foot-prints of Travel
Maturin M. Ballou
The better ones are trimmed at the collar and cuffs with astrakhan.At the Court of the Amr
John Alfred Gray
It was also present to a slight extent in the Caucasus and in Astrakhan.
- a fur, usually black or grey, made of the closely curled wool of lambs from Astrakhan
- a cloth with curled pile resembling this
- (modifier) made of such fur or clothan astrakhan collar
- a city in SE Russia, on the delta of the Volga River, 21 m (70 ft) below sea level. Pop: 507 000 (2005 est)