adjective, superl. of good with better as compar.
adverb, superl. of well with better as compar.
verb (used with object)
Words nearby best
Idioms for best
- to gain the advantage over.
- to defeat; subdue: His arthritis gets the best of him from time to time.
British Dictionary definitions for at best (1 of 2)
- to do one's utmost to make progress
- to hurry
- in the most favourable interpretation
- under the most favourable conditions
- for an ultimately good outcome
- with good intentionshe meant it for the best
Word Origin for best
British Dictionary definitions for at best (2 of 2)
Medicine definitions for at best
Science definitions for at best
Idioms and Phrases with at best (1 of 2)
Under the most favorable circumstances, as in At best we'll be just one week behind schedule, or Cleaning out the attic is a tedious job at best. This idiom, formerly also put as at the best, today is most often used in situations that are actually far from ideal, as in the examples above. [First half of 1300s] For an antonym, see at worst.
Idioms and Phrases with at best (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with best
- best bib and tucker
- best of both worlds, the
- best part of something
- best shot
- all for the best
- all the best
- as best one can
- at best
- at one's best
- come off (second-best)
- do one's best
- get the better (best) of
- give it one's best shot
- had better (best)
- make the best of it
- on one's best behavior
- put one's best foot forward
- second best
- Sunday best
- in one's (best) interest
- to the best of one's ability
- with the best of them
- with the best will in the world
Also see underbetter.