- most recent; current: latest fashions.
- the latest, the most recent news, development, disclosure, etc.: This is the latest in personal computers.
- at the latest, not any later than (a specified time): Be at the airport by 7 o'clock at the latest.
Origin of latest
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the superlative of late
- most recent, modern, or newthe latest fashions
- at the latest no later than the time specified
- the latest informal the most recent fashion or development
Word Origin and History for at the latest
superlative of late. The latest "the news" attested from 1886.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with at the latest
at the latest
No later than. For example, We have to be in New York by Monday at the latest. This idiom was first recorded in 1884.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.