- extending to the fingertips, as a coat, veil, etc.: a fingertip jacket.
- at one's fingertips,
- close at hand; easily or immediately available.
- at one's command or disposal, as recall of factual information: He has the answer at his fingertips.
- to one's fingertips, thoroughly; perfectly: She was a politician to her fingertips.
Origin of fingertip
- the end joint or tip of a finger
- another term for fingerstall
- at one's fingertips readily available and within one's mental grasp
Word Origin and History for at one's fingertips
- The extreme end or tip of a finger.
Idioms and Phrases with at one's fingertips
at one's fingertips
Ready at hand, immediately available. This idiom is used both literally, as in This new dashboard design keeps all the important controls at the driver's fingertips, and figuratively, as in Tom was so familiar with the proposal that he had all the details at his fingertips. [Second half of 1800s]