- Botany. pollination of the ovules of a flower by its own pollen; self-fertilization (opposed to allogamy).
- Biology. conjugation in an individual organism by division of its nucleus into two parts that in turn reunite to form a zygote.
Origin of autogamy
Examples from the Web for autogamy
Historical Examples of autogamy
I wish that I had used some such terms as autogamy, xenogamy, etc..More Letters of Charles Darwin Volume II
One-division meiosis and autogamy without cell division in Urinympha.
Meiosis in Rhynchonympha in one cytoplasmic and two nuclear divisions followed by autogamy.
Meiosis in Barbulanympha following fertilization, autogamy, and endomitosis.
- self-fertilization in flowering plants
- a type of sexual reproduction, occurring in some protozoans, in which the uniting gametes are derived from the same cell
- Self-fertilization in which fission of the cell nucleus occurs without complete cellular division, forming two pronuclei that reunite to form the synkaryon.
- See self-fertilization.
- The union of nuclei within and arising from a single cell, as in certain protozoans and fungi.