- the breakdown of plant or animal tissue by the action of enzymes contained in the tissue affected; self-digestion.
Origin of autolysis
Examples from the Web for autolysis
Historical Examples of autolysis
This process of self-digestion is known technically as autolysis.The Fundamentals of Bacteriology
Charles Bradfield Morrey
This disintegration may be due to a process of autolysis, which sets in only after the egg has extruded the two polar bodies.
Such a constituent may be responsible for phagocytosis and autolysis in the organs undergoing absorption.
The products of this autolysis are carried by the lymphatics to healthy tissues and thus may spread the infection.
Only in tumors in which autolysis is active intra vitam does the method exert any effect.
- the destruction of cells and tissues of an organism by enzymes produced by the cells themselves
Word Origin for autolysis
- The destruction of tissues or cells of an organism by the action of substances, such as enzymes, that are produced within the organism.
- Self-destruction of tissues within the living body.autodigestion
- The hemolytic action of blood serum or plasma upon its own cells.autocytolysis