- an opaque, brown glass containing fine, gold-colored particles.
- any of several varieties of minerals, especially quartz or feldspar, spangled with bright particles of mica, hematite, or other minerals.
Origin of aventurine
Also called goldstone.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
aventurin avanturine (əˈvæntjʊrɪn)
- a dark-coloured glass, usually green or brown, spangled with fine particles of gold, copper, or some other metal
- Also called: sunstone a light-coloured translucent variety of orthoclase feldspar containing reddish-gold particles of iron compounds
- a variety of quartz containing red or greenish particles of iron oxide or mica: a gemstone
C19: from French, from Italian avventurina, from avventura chance; so named because usually found by accident; see adventure
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012