- a doll, especially one resembling a human baby.
- Often baby dolls. Also called baby doll nightgown, baby doll pajamas. a garment for women or girls consisting of a hip-length top of delicate fabric often decorated with ruffles, ribbons, or lace, with a matching panty, worn for sleeping.
- a short dress styled to resemble this.
Also ba·by·doll (for defs 2, 3).
Origin of baby doll
First recorded in 1860–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for babydoll
She stepped into a doorway and started unbuttoning her Alice-blue babydoll dress.Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town
- a short sleeveless nightgown or dress with a loose skirt
- (as modifier)a babydoll dress
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012