- to hold in reserve, as for future handling or repair.
- to enter and acknowledge (an order) for future shipment.
- to accumulate in a backlog: Orders are starting to backlog faster than we can process them.
Origin of backlog
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an accumulation of uncompleted work, unsold stock, etc, to be dealt with
- mainly US and Canadian a large log at the back of a fireplace
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for back-logged
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper