- to retard the forward motion by pressing backward on the pedal, especially of a bicycle with coaster brakes.
- to retreat from or reverse one's previous stand on any matter; shift ground: to back-pedal after severe criticism.
- Boxing. to retreat from an opponent, especially by stepping rapidly backward.
Origin of back-pedal
Related Words for backpedalingretract, backtrack, reverse, about-face, rethink, back, retreat, withdraw, retrograde, change, double, return, retrocede
Examples from the Web for backpedaling
Contemporary Examples of backpedaling
And, unlike Booker, Clinton is unlikely to be cowed into backpedaling by the White House.Bill Clinton: Two-Edged Sword for President Obama
June 2, 2012
By July, however, Italy was backpedaling as the rebels gained power.Italy’s Next Act in Libya
Barbie Latza Nadeau
August 23, 2011
Now, a year later, Cornyn is backpedaling as fast as he can.The Charlie Crist Blame Game
April 29, 2010
- to turn the pedals of a bicycle backwards
- to retract or modify a previous opinion, principle, etc
- boxing to take backward steps