- a seaport in and the capital of Thailand, in the S central part, on the Chao Phraya.
- (lowercase) a kind of Siamese straw.
- (lowercase) a hat woven of strands of this straw.
- Formerly Siam. a kingdom in SE Asia: official name of Siam 1939–45 and since 1949. 198,242 sq. mi. (513,445 sq. km). Capital: Bangkok.
- Gulf of. Also called Gulf of Siam. an arm of the South China Sea, S of Thailand.
Examples from the Web for bangkok
Contemporary Examples of bangkok
“Mostly people on a budget use it,” Franz Dobersberger, managing director of a Bangkok travel agency, told The Daily Beast.The Presumed Crash of AirAsia Flight QZ8501 Is Nothing Like MH370
December 29, 2014
The next day, three more students were detained in Bangkok after being escorted out of a high-end cinema.
A Bangkok theater chain subsequently canceled its planned screenings of the new film.
So Langley decided to cut short the tour of the then-CIA station chief in Bangkok and bring him in to head up the show.The CIA’s Wrong: Arming Rebels Works
October 19, 2014
Peoria indulges in, and mostly enjoys, just about every vice known to man or woman from New York to Baghdad to Bangkok.Newsweek Takedown From Beyond the Grave: Michael Hastings’s Fiction Tells the Truth
June 18, 2014
Historical Examples of bangkok
A line from Bangkok to Bianghsen, in Siam, is being projected at the present time.The Railroad Question
The steamer Melita was leaving for Bangkok that evening about seven.The Shadow-Line
He said you set a lot of scandal going about him once, somewhere—in Bangkok, I think.Victory
He, however, has been unable to effect this reform in Bangkok.
Jinrikishas are used in Bangkok, but with foreigners carriages are preferred.
- the capital and chief port of Thailand, on the Chao Phraya River: became a royal city and the capital in 1782. Pop: 6 604 000 (2005 est)Thai name: Krung Thep (ˈkrʊŋ ˈteɪp)
- a kingdom in SE Asia, on the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand: united as a kingdom in 1350 and became a major SE Asian power; consists chiefly of a central plain around the Chao Phraya river system, mountains rising over 2400 m (8000 ft) in the northwest, and rainforest the length of the S peninsula. Parts of the SW coast suffered badly in the Indian Ocean tsunami of December 2004. Official language: Thai. Official religion: (Hinayana) Buddhist. Currency: baht. Capital: Bangkok. Pop: 67 448 120 (2013 est). Area: 513 998 sq km (198 455 sq miles)Former name (until 1939 and 1945–49): Siam
- Gulf of Thailand an arm of the South China Sea between the Malay Peninsula and IndochinaFormer name: Gulf of Siam
Word Origin and History for bangkok
Capital of Thailand and largest city in the country, located in the heart of Thailand's rice-growing region near the Gulf of Thailand.