- a social gathering, originally held in a barn, and including square dances, round dances, and hoedown music.
- any party featuring country dances, dress, music, etc.
Origin of barn dance
Examples from the Web for barn dance
Historical Examples of barn dance
Like Annixter's barn-dance, it was to be an event in which all the country-side should take part.
"And women pet them; they'd prefer a fool who can pot rabbits and do a barn-dance to Homer himself," growled Yate.Love's Usuries
It was the day that Annixter had chosen for his barn-dance and, in consequence, Quien Sabe was in fete and work suspended.
Fern Mullins and Cy had, the evening before, driven alone to a barn-dance in the country.Main Street
- British a progressive round country dance
- US and Canadian a party with hoedown music and square-dancing
- a party featuring country dancing
- a disco or party held in a barn