- an island in the Philippines, SW of Mindanao. 495 sq. mi. (1282 sq. km).
- Formerly Isabela. a city on this island.
Examples from the Web for basilan
Historical Examples of basilan
His cousin, Adasaolan, who had accompanied him, had taken up his abode in Basilan.The Philippine Islands
Ramon Reyes Lala
Lumber was cut at Basilan, and lankan,3 rafts, and ladders were constructed.The History of Sulu
Najeeb M. Saleeby
Visible beyond the fort were the clear waters of Basilan Strait.The Pirates of Shan
Harold Leland Goodwin
It is a nation common to these islands of Mindanao, Jolo, and Basilan.The Philippine Islands, 1493-1898 - Volume 40 of 55
The island of Basilan forms a sixth district under the commandant-general of Mindanao.The Inhabitants of the Philippines
Frederic H. Sawyer
- a group of islands in the Philippines, SW of Mindanao
- the main island of this group, separated from Mindanao by the Basilan Strait . Area: 1282 sq km (495 sq miles)
- a city on Basilan Island. Pop: 381 000 (2005 est)