- to lower in condition or worth; debase: hybrid works that neither preserve nor bastardize existing art forms.
- to declare or prove (someone) to be a bastard.
- Australian. to harass or humiliate as part of initiation into a college or regiment.
- to become debased.
Also especially British, bas·tard·ise.
Origin of bastardize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of bastardizing
- an initiation ceremony in a school or military unit, esp one involving brutality
- brutality or bullying
- to debase; corrupt
- archaic to declare illegitimate
Word Origin and History for bastardization
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper