- indecent; lewd; obscene: another of his bawdy stories.
- coarse or indecent talk or writing; bawdry; bawdiness: a collection of Elizabethan bawdy.
Origin of bawdy
SynonymsSee more synonyms for bawdy on Thesaurus.com
1. lascivious, salacious, prurient, earthy, risqué, ribald, coarse, licentious, raunchy.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of language, plays, etc) containing references to sex, esp to be humorous
- obscenity or eroticism, esp in writing or drama
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bawdily
Bawdy Basket, the twenty-third rank of canters, who carry pins, tape, ballads and obscene books to sell. [Grose, "Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue," 1785]
Related: Bawdily; bawdiness.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper