- simple past tense and past participle of bethink.
- to think; consider (used reflexively): He bethought himself a moment.
- to remind (oneself): to bethink oneself of family obligations.
- to remember; recall (used reflexively): She lives in the past now, bethinking herself of happier days.
- to determine; resolve: Under the circumstances I could not otherwise bethink me.
- Archaic. to bear in mind; remember.
- Archaic. to consider; meditate.
Origin of bethink
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for be-thought
- the past tense and past participle of bethink
- to cause (oneself) to consider or meditate
- (tr often foll by of) to remind (oneself)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for be-thought
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper