- having beauty; possessing qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.
- excellent of its kind: a beautiful putt on the seventh hole; The chef served us a beautiful roast of beef.
- wonderful; very pleasing or satisfying.
- the concept of beauty (usually preceded by the).
- (used with a plural verb) beautiful things or people collectively (usually preceded by the): the good and the beautiful.
- the ideal of beauty (usually preceded by the): to strive to attain the beautiful.
- wonderful; fantastic: You got two front-row seats? Beautiful!
- extraordinary; incredible: used ironically: Your car broke down in the middle of the freeway? Beautiful!
Origin of beautiful
Synonyms for beautiful
Antonyms for beautiful
- possessing beauty; aesthetically pleasing
- highly enjoyable; very pleasantthe party was beautiful
mid-15c., from beauty + -ful. The beautiful people "the fashionable set" first attested 1964 in (where else?) "Vogue" (it also was the title of a 1941 play by U.S. dramatist William Saroyan). House Beautiful is from "Pilgrim's Progress," where it is a proper name of a place. Related: Beautifully.