- a city in and the capital of Oise, in NW France: 13th-century cathedral.
- a river in W Europe, flowing SW from S Belgium through N France to the Seine, near Paris. 186 miles (300 km) long.
- a department in N France. 2273 sq. mi. (5885 sq. km). Capital: Beauvais.
Examples from the Web for beauvais
Historical Examples of beauvais
Like Monsieur Manette, your father, the gentleman was of Beauvais.
On the road (except at Beauvais) he had heard absolutely nothing.
Something equally marvelous is said of a canon of the cathedral of Beauvais.The Phantom World
I can leave him at Amiens or at Beauvais, or any one of the convenient places that I pass.The Trampling of the Lilies
The Bishop of Beauvais then pronounced her sentence of excommunication.The Story of Rouen
Sir Theodore Andrea Cook
- a market town in N France, 64 km (40 miles) northwest of Paris. Pop: 55 392 (1999)
- a department of N France, in Picardy region. Capital: Beauvais. Pop: 776 999 (2003 est). Area: 5887 sq km (2296 sq miles)
- a river in N France, rising in Belgium, in the Ardennes, and flowing southwest to join the Seine at Conflans. Length: 302 km (188 miles)