- Nautical. to fasten (a rope) by winding around a pin or short rod inserted in a holder so that both ends of the rod are clear.
- Mountain Climbing.
- to secure (a person) by attaching to one end of a rope.
- to secure (a rope) by attaching to a person or to an object offering stable support.
- (used chiefly in the imperative)
- to cease (an action); stop.
- to ignore (an announcement, order, etc.): Belay that, the meeting will be at 0900 instead of 0800.
- to belay a rope: Belay on that cleat over there.
- Mountain Climbing. a rock, bush, or other object sturdy enough for a running rope to be passed around it to secure a hold.
Origin of belay
Examples from the Web for belayed
Historical Examples of belayed
He seized the fellow and thrust him toward the pins where the halyards were belayed.Blow The Man Down
Murphy and Hennesey nippered the falls at the pinrail, and belayed when they slacked.The Grain Ship
The brace was belayed: he sprang into the rigging that Jessie might see him.The Two Shipmates
William H. G. Kingston
Davies had belayed the painter, and now had to explain the origin of the mizzen.The Riddle of the Sands
I had just belayed the halyards when Anthea came to me with the keys.The First Mate
- nautical to make fast (a line) by securing to a pin, cleat, or bitt
- (usually imperative) nautical to stop; cease
- (ˈbiːˌleɪ) mountaineering to secure (a climber) to a mountain by tying the rope off round a rock spike, piton, nut, etc
- (ˈbiːˌleɪ) mountaineering the attachment (of a climber) to a mountain by tying the rope off round a rock spike, piton, nut, etc, to safeguard the party in the event of a fallSee also running belay
Word Origin for belay
from Old English bilecgan, which, among other senses, meant "to lay a thing about" (with other objects), from be- + lecgan "to lay" (see lay (v.)). The only surviving sense is the nautical one of "coil a running rope round a cleat or pin to secure it" (also transferred to mountain-climbing), first attested 1540s; but this is possibly a cognate word, from Dutch beleggen.