- a town in and the capital of Ticino, in S Switzerland.
- a canton in S Switzerland. 1086 sq. mi. (2813 sq. km). Capital: Bellinzona.
Examples from the Web for bellinzona
Historical Examples of bellinzona
Possibly Bellinzona is of Roman origin, but it is first mentioned in 590.
Moncey had passed the St. Gotthard in safety, and was ready at Bellinzona.The Life of Napoleon Bonaparte
William Milligan Sloane
On the Italian side of the Gotthard lies Bellinzona, as you know.The Road to Damascus
In 1900 the population of Bellinzona was 4949, practically all Romanists and Italian-speaking.
We then proceeded on our half-walk and half-drive, and slept on the 25th at Bellinzona, the first decidedly Italian town.The Poetical Works of William Wordsworth, Vol. VI (of 8)
- a town in SE central Switzerland, capital of Ticino canton. Pop: 16 463 (2000)
- a canton in S Switzerland: predominantly Italian-speaking and Roman Catholic; mountainous. Capital: Bellinzona. Pop: 314 600 (2002 est). Area: 2810 sq km (1085 sq miles)German name: Tessin
- a river in S central Europe, rising in S central Switzerland and flowing southeast and west to Lake Maggiore, then southeast to the River Po. Length: 248 km (154 miles)