- containing the benzyl group.
- the benzyl group.
Origin of benzyl
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for benzyl
The active ingredient is Benzyl Nicotinate (niacinamide), part of the drug group of vasodilators that widen blood vessels.My Great Fake Bake Experiment
January 6, 2009
Benzyl benzoate has been used recently to reduce the high blood pressure of hypertension.Arteriosclerosis and Hypertension:
Louis Marshall Warfield
The first of these is benzyl chloride, the second benzal chloride, and the third benzotrichloride or phenyl chloroform.Coal
Benzyl Acetate, the ester obtained from benzyl alcohol and acetic acid.The Handbook of Soap Manufacture
W. H. Simmons
Lauryl benzyl phosphonic acid, dipotassium salt, in 20% solution.Junior Achievement
It is then only necessary to brominate the benzyl cyanide by treating it with bromine vapor.America's Munitions 1917-1918
- (modifier) of, consisting of, or containing the monovalent group C 6 H 5 CH 2 –benzyl alcohol Systematic name: phenylmethyl
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The univalent radical C6H5CH2- derived from toluene.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The radical C6H5CH2, derived from toluene.
- A colorless flammable liquid derived from petroleum. Benzene is used to make detergents, insecticides, motor fuels, and many other chemical products. Chemical formula: C6H6. See more at benzene ring.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.