- a former secessionist state (1967–70) in SE Nigeria, in W Africa. Capital: Enugu.
- Bight of, a wide bay in the E part of the Gulf of Guinea, off the W coast of Africa.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for biafran
My father knew him from a brief stint working with him for the Biafran Broadcasting Service.Our Living Ancestor: Chris Abani Remembers Chinua Achebe
March 26, 2013
He fully supported the Biafran secession, and took a break from fiction, thinking that politics was more important.Chinua Achebe Dies: Beyond ‘Things Fall Apart,’ And His Best Books
The Daily Beast
March 22, 2013
- of or relating to Biafra or its inhabitants
- a native or inhabitant of Biafra
- a region of E Nigeria, formerly a local government region: seceded as an independent republic (1967–70) during the Civil War, but defeated by Nigerian government forces
- Bight of Biafra former name (until 1975) of (the Bight of) Bonny
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012