- a period or bout, usually brief, of excessive indulgence, as in eating, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc.; spree.
- to have a binge: to binge on junk food.
Origin of binge
Synonyms for bingeSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for bingeing
Contemporary Examples of bingeing
And as bingeing becomes possible and commonplace, it's only natural that shows should start to take it into account.‘Game of Thrones’: Weiss and Benioff on Getting Hooked
May 19, 2013
- a bout of excessive eating or drinking
- excessive indulgence in anythinga shopping binge
- to indulge in a binge (esp of eating or drinking)
Word Origin for binge
1854, "drinking bout," also (v.) "drink heavily, soak up alcohol;" dialectal use of binge "soak" (a wooden vessel). Noted originally as a Northampton dialect word. Sense extended c. World War I to include eating as well as drinking. Related: Binged; binging.
see go on, def. 9.