- a period or bout, usually brief, of excessive indulgence, as in eating, drinking alcoholic beverages, etc.; spree.
- to have a binge: to binge on junk food.
Origin of binge
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for bingeing
And as bingeing becomes possible and commonplace, it's only natural that shows should start to take it into account.‘Game of Thrones’: Weiss and Benioff on Getting Hooked
May 19, 2013
- a bout of excessive eating or drinking
- excessive indulgence in anythinga shopping binge
- to indulge in a binge (esp of eating or drinking)
Word Origin and History for bingeing
1854, "drinking bout," also (v.) "drink heavily, soak up alcohol;" dialectal use of binge "soak" (a wooden vessel). Noted originally as a Northampton dialect word. Sense extended c. World War I to include eating as well as drinking. Related: Binged; binging.
Idioms and Phrases with bingeing
see go on, def. 9.