- a small bird.
- Golf. a score of one stroke under par on a hole.
- a shuttlecock.
- Golf. to make a birdie on (a hole).
Origin of birdie
Examples from the Web for birdies
Historical Examples of birdies
O, cruel Tom, let birdies be, And blithely sing from bush and tree.Aunt Kitty's Stories
You forget I had eaten a few strawberries—just to encourage the birdies.Afterwards
I guess heres where the birdies and butterflies had their Sabbath School.Maybee's Stepping Stones
"So my birdies must coo at midnight on the house-tops," he finally remarked.Mlle. Fouchette
Charles Theodore Murray
Why, sis, do you want our chickens and birdies all carried off?Little Robins Learning to Fly
- golf a score of one stroke under par for a hole
- informal a bird, esp a small bird
- (tr) golf to play (a hole) in one stroke under par