- Italian La Mano Nera. any of various secret criminal groups organized in Italy and operating in the U.S. in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, practicing blackmail and violence.
- an anarchistic society in Spain, suppressed in 1883.
- a nationalistic society in Serbia, suppressed in 1914.
Examples from the Web for black hand
Historical Examples of black hand
Cecala proved a valuable aid to the two "Black-Hand" captains.
We can throttle anything from a black-hand agent to a ghost.Campfire Girls in the Allegheny Mountains
Stella M. Francis
He will never be reached by the Black-Hand gang without several of them paying with their lives for his.
Another letter follows which may also help the reader to a conclusion as to whether such a thing exists as a "Black-Hand" Society.
- a group of Sicilian blackmailers and terrorists formed in the 1870s and operating in the US in the early 20th century
- (in 19th-century Spain) an organization of anarchists
Word Origin and History for black hand
Italian immigrant secret society in U.S., 1904; earlier a Spanish anarchist society, both from the warning mark they displayed to potential victims.