- See under swallowwort(def 2).
- celandine(def 1).
- any of several plants of the milkweed family, especially a climbing vine, Cynanchum nigrum (black swallowwort), native to Europe, having small, brownish flowers.
Origin of swallowwort
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of several Eurasian vines of the genus Cynanchum, esp C. nigrum, having small brownish-purple flowers: family Asclepiadaceae
- a related European herbaceous plant, Vincetoxicum officinale (or Cynanchum vincetoxicum), having an emetic root
- another name for greater celandine
Word Origin for swallowwort
C16: so called because the shape of its pod is reminiscent of a flying swallow
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012