- Plant Pathology. a nonparasitic disease of plants, as of potatoes and various trees, in which internal plant tissues blacken, usually as a result of extremes in temperature.
- a heart cherry having a dark skin.
- the tree bearing this fruit.
Origin of blackheart
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for blackheart
Historical Examples of blackheart
Well, chuckled the old man over the ancient joke, hes the colour of a blackheart cherry.Carolyn of the Corners
Ruth Belmore Endicott
- an abnormal darkening of the woody stems of some plants, thought to be caused by extreme cold
- any of various diseases of plants, such as the potato, in which the central tissues are blackened
- a variety of cherry that has large sweet fruit with purplish flesh and an almost black skin
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012