- low spirits; depression.
- delirium tremens.
Origin of blue devils
First recorded in 1780–90
- a blue capsule or tablet containing the barbiturate amobarbital or its derivative.
Also called blue angel, blue devil.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for blue-devil
Historical Examples of blue-devil
I then told him all my mishaps in Sorombo, as well as of the "blue-devil" frights that had seized all my men.The Discovery of the Source of the Nile
John Hanning Speke
- a fit of depression or melancholy
- an attack of delirium tremens
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A blue capsule or tablet containing barbiturate amobarbital or its sodium derivative.
- A feeling of depression; despondency.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.