- a small hatch giving access to a ladder from the weather deck of a vessel to the interior of the hull.
- a small companion secured over a deck opening.
- a hoodlike hatch cover having a sliding top.
- an insane asylum.
Origin of booby hatch
First recorded in 1830–40
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a hoodlike covering for a hatchway on a ship
- US offensive, slang a mental hospital
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012