Also called boulle·work [bool-wurk] /ˈbulˌwɜrk/.


or boule, boulle

noun (often initial capital letter)
  1. elaborate inlaid work of woods, metals, tortoiseshell, ivory, etc.

Origin of buhl

1815–25; from Germanized form of French boulle or boule, named after A. C. Boulle or Boule (1642–1732), French cabinetmaker
Also called buhl·work [bool-wurk] /ˈbulˌwɜrk/, boulework, boullework. Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018

British Dictionary definitions for boullework


adjective, noun
  1. the usual US spelling of boulle


boule or buhl

  1. denoting or relating to a type of marquetry of patterned inlays of brass and tortoiseshell, occasionally with other metals such as pewter, much used on French furniture from the 17th century
  1. Also called: boullework something ornamented with such marquetry

Word Origin for boulle

C18: named after André Charles Boulle (1642–1732), French cabinet-maker
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012