- the string of an archer's bow.
- a string, typically of horsehair, for the bow of an instrument of the violin and viol families.
- (especially in the Ottoman Empire) a similar string for killing people by strangulation.
- to strangle with a bowstring or any string or band.
Origin of bowstring
Examples from the Web for bowstring
Historical Examples of bowstring
By the bowstring of my fathers, but that would be a great and worthy killing!
Get ye gone, or the bastinado and the bowstring shall be your portion.Dreamers of the Ghetto
He must not beat her or strangle her with a bowstring or drop her into the Bosporus.In a Little Town
He broke his bowstring, and his hand was numbed at the wrist-joint.
As the sound was not repeated, he strode in among the trees, setting an arrow against the bowstring.Hawk Eye
- the string of an archer's bow, usually consisting of three strands of hemp