synonym study for brethren
Words nearby brethren
Definition for brethren (2 of 2)
noun, plural brothers, (Archaic) brethren.
- (often initial capital letter) a male numbered among the lay members of a religious organization that has a priesthood.
- a man who devotes himself to the duties of a religious order without taking holy orders, or while preparing for holy orders.
Origin of brother
synonym study for brother
OTHER WORDS FROM brotherbroth·er·less, adjectivebroth·er·like, adjective
Example sentences from the Web for brethren
It was an open secret, and one that discomfited several of his brethren.Ruth Bader Ginsburg Levels With Us on Why She’s Not Retiring|Jeff Greenfield|September 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He is now sure to become a folk hero among his brethren on high steel.Hero or Criminal? James Brady, the WTC Ironworker Who Jumped Off the Building|Michael Daly|March 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Cursed be Canaan; A servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
The more radical male-separatists can find their brethren at sites such as Men Going Their Own Way.
"My brethren, and also my sisteren," he preached in a sermonizing voice.Six Girls and the Tea Room|Marion Ames Taggart
For he is Saint Oenius, a man of venerable life; and, as the saint prophesied beforehand, he was duly set over the brethren.The Latin & Irish Lives of Ciaran|Anonymous
In this extremity Sieys chose as minister of police the old Terrorist Fouch, who best understood how to deal with his brethren.
Secondly, a right, before any other man, to inherit with his brethren his father's goods.Second Treatise of Government|John Locke
Amid powerful difficulties our brethren have not laboured in vain.
British Dictionary definitions for brethren (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for brethren (2 of 2)
noun plural brothers or archaic except when referring to fellow members of a religion, sect, society, etc brethren
- a male person belonging to the same group, profession, nationality, trade union, etc, as another or others; fellow member
- (as modifier)brother workers
- a member of a male religious order who undertakes work for the order without actually being in holy orders
- a lay member of a male religious order