- a seaport in Avon, in SW England, on the Avon River near its confluence with the Severn estuary.
- a city in central Connecticut.
- a city in NE Tennessee, contiguous with but politically independent of Bristol, Virginia.
- a town in E Rhode Island.
- a city in SW Virginia.
- a town in SE Pennsylvania, on the Delaware River.
- Bristol, Tennessee, and Bristol, Virginia, considered as a unit.
Examples from the Web for bristols
Historical Examples of bristols
The latter portion of the expression went out with Bristols fame as a seaport.The Slang Dictionary
John Camden Hotten
Stan craned his neck and saw what was holding the eyes of the men in the Blenheims and the Bristols.
The nine light Spitfires went down in a screaming dive to cover the Blenheims and the Bristols.
Stan knifed into a wedge of Heinkels darting down to drop upon one of the Bristols.
For a discussion of the Greek texts, see Professor Bristols exposition in the same volume.Outlines of Educational Doctrine
John Frederick Herbart
- British slang a woman's breasts
Word Origin for bristols
- City of Bristol a port and industrial city in SW England, mainly in Bristol unitary authority, on the River Avon seven miles from its mouth on the Bristol Channel: a major port, trading with America, in the 17th and 18th centuries; the modern port consists chiefly of docks at Avonmouth and Portishead; noted for the Clifton Suspension Bridge (designed by I. K. Brunel, 1834) over the Avon gorge; Bristol university (1909) and University of the West of England (1992). Pop: 420 556 (2001)
- City of Bristol a unitary authority in SW England, created in 1996 from part of Avon county. Pop: 391 500 (2003 est). Area: 110 sq km (42 sq miles)
City in western England, Middle English Bridgestow, from Old English Brycgstow, literally "assembly place by a bridge" (see bridge (n.) + stow). A local peculiarity of pronunciation adds -l to words ending in vowels. Of a type of pottery, 1776; of a type of glass, 1880. In British slang, "breast," 1961, from Bristol cities, rhyming slang for titties.