noun, plural brothers, (Archaic) brethren.
- (often initial capital letter) a male numbered among the lay members of a religious organization that has a priesthood.
- a man who devotes himself to the duties of a religious order without taking holy orders, or while preparing for holy orders.
Words nearby brother
Origin of brother
OTHER WORDS FROM brotherbroth·er·less, adjectivebroth·er·like, adjective
synonym study for brother
Definition for brother (2 of 2)
synonym study for brethren
Examples from the Web for brother
The brother of a girl who made her debut in New Orleans society was shaking his fists in excitement.
Among the other graduates was Officer Kevin Lynch, brother and son of police officers.
A 2008 Pakistani raid near Turbat turned up Abdolhamid Rigi, the brother of Abdelmalek Rigi.The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan|Umar Farooq|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Mating with a cousin or brother is safer than risking life and limb to mate with an outsider.Mongooses, Meerkats, and Ants, Oh My! Why Some Animals Keep Mating All in the Family|Helen Thompson|December 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But in the days ahead he, his brother, and the others will be back in the street while their families worry at home.Choking Back Tears, Thousands of Cops Honor Fallen Officer Ramos|Michael Daly|December 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
"But it is terrible to have the air so full of noise," continued the girl, as she made a little face at her brother.Walter and the Wireless|Sara Ware Bassett
James asked, when he and his brother were left alone with the wine.Poor Relations|Compton Mackenzie
There at that time lived Thorstein, Egil's son, his mother's brother.Laxdla Saga|Anonymous
I will ask our brother, Huya, the great war bird, to lead you to the Blackfeet camp.The War Trail|Elmer Russell Gregor
Francis was overjoyed to see George, and George delighted in the visible improvement of his brother.Precaution|James Fenimore Cooper
British Dictionary definitions for brother (1 of 2)
noun plural brothers or archaic except when referring to fellow members of a religion, sect, society, etc brethren
- a male person belonging to the same group, profession, nationality, trade union, etc, as another or others; fellow member
- (as modifier)brother workers
- a member of a male religious order who undertakes work for the order without actually being in holy orders
- a lay member of a male religious order