- built so as to be an integral and permanent part of a larger construction: The wall has a built-in bookcase.
- existing as a natural or characteristic part of something; inherent: a built-in contempt for daydreaming.
- a built-in piece of furniture or appliance.
- an additional feature or capability, as of a machine or a service: a car with power steering, power brakes, and other built-ins.
Origin of built-in
Related Words for built-ininherent, deep-seated, innate, congenital, constitutional, essential, implicit, inborn, inbred, incorporated, ingrained, inseparable, integral, indwelling, in-built
Examples from the Web for built-in
Contemporary Examples of built-in
Luckily, Tor was prepared for this sort of assault, and has built-in defenses to protect against it.The Attack on the Hidden Internet
December 29, 2014
Newer devices may have built-in passwords that are difficult to update.How Your Pacemaker Will Get Hacked
Kaiser Health News
November 17, 2014
If a sequel to Liquid Sky emerges out of the current work of Carlisle and Tsukerman, there will be a built-in audience.Punks, UFOs, and Heroin: How ‘Liquid Sky’ Became a Cult Movie
June 2, 2014
The robot also has built-in voice recognition and a speaker that a human operator can use to challenge suspected intruders.Smoke Rings, Mystery Backpacks and Gun-Toting Robots: The Weird Wartech of the Korean Conflict
April 3, 2014
So the built-in challenge automatically is creating iconic sets and costumes on a really tight budget.The Art of Smutty Spoofs: Porn Parodies Aren’t a Joke Anymore
March 15, 2014
Historical Examples of built-in
There was a built-in order to return, after the lapse of a certain time period.Watchbird
This suit's got a built-in recorder, I might as well use it.Accidental Death
A bath, faintly scented, in a built-in tub in her own marble bathroom.Free Air
He shifted uneasily on the built-in seat, and got a splinter in a vital spot.Stairway to the Stars
Unerringly, the axis of the built-in antenna pointed to the houseboat.The Electronic Mind Reader
- made or incorporated as an integral parta built-in cupboard; a built-in escape clause
- essential; inherent
- Australian a built-in cupboard or wardrobe