- (of a shirt collar) having buttonholes so it can be buttoned to the body of the shirt.
- (of a shirt) having a button-down collar.
- (of a shirt) having buttons down the front from the collar to the bottom.
- Also buttoned-down. (especially of attitudes, opinions, etc.) extremely conventional; unimaginative.
Origin of button-down
An Americanism dating back to 1930–35
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for button downtraditional, current, ordinary, regular, typical, reveal, express, pinpoint, show, suggest, signal, hint, mark, prove, imply, argue, announce, demonstrate, illustrate, make
- (of a collar) having points that are fastened to the garment with buttons
- (of a shirt) having a button-down collar
- Also: buttoned-down conventional or conservativea button-down corporate culture
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012