adjective, far·ther or fur·ther, far·thest or fur·thest.
- by a great deal; very much: too expensive by far.
- plainly; obviously: This melon is by far the ripest of the lot.
- unconventional; offbeat: His sense of humor is far out.
- radical; extreme: political opinions that are far out.
- recondite or esoteric: an interest in art that was considered far out.
- to attain success: With so much talent he should go far.
- to have a great effect toward; help: The new evidence will go far toward proving the defendant's guilt.
- up to now: So far, I've had no reply to my request.
- up to a certain point or extent: We were able to plan only so far because of various factors beyond our control.
- up to the present; up to now: We have met no resistance to our plan thus far.
- to a particular degree, point, or extent: When you get thus far in the experiment, consult with the professor.
Origin of far
Related formsfar·ness, nouno·ver·far, adverb, adjective
British Dictionary definitions for by far
adverb farther, further, farthest or furthest
- to the degree or extent that
- to the distance or place of
- informal with reference to; as for
- in an advanced state of deterioration
- informal extremely drunk
- to be successful; achieve muchyour son will go far
- to be sufficient or last longthe wine didn't go far
- up to the present moment
- up to a certain point, extent, degree, etc
- a long way
- something very different
Derived Formsfarness, noun
Word Origin for far
Idioms and Phrases with by far (1 of 2)
Also, far and away. To the greatest degree, by a large margin. For example, She is by far the most experienced member of the cast, or, as Anthony Trollope wrote, “He was far and away the cleverest of his party” (The Duke's Children, 1880). The first term dates from the late 1700s, the variant from the mid-1800s. Also see by half.
Idioms and Phrases with by far (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with far
- far afield
- far and away
- far and near
- far and wide
- far be it from one to
- far cry from, a
- far from
- far gone
- far out
- as far as
- as far as possible
- as far as that goes
- by far
- carry too far
- few and far between
- go far
- go so far as to
- go too far
- so far
- so far so good