- past; gone by; earlier; former: The faded photograph brought memories of bygone days.
- Usually bygones. that which is past: Let's not talk of bygones.
- let bygones be bygones, to decide to forget past disagreements; become reconciled: Let's let bygones be bygones and be friends again.
Origin of bygone
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for bygones
Many seem to agree with the government that we should just let bygones by bygones.China's Schoolhouse Murder Mystery
May 3, 2010
But Lieberman's call to let bygones be bygones rings as hollow as his promise to draw troops down from Iraq.Lieberman's Empty Promises
November 10, 2008
He gave me a great deal of trouble—but there, let bygones be bygones!A Hero of Our Time
M. Y. Lermontov
But, considerin' that I got this horn from Mr. Bangs, I'm willin' to let bygones be past.Cy Whittaker's Place
Joseph C. Lincoln
Who can sympathize with bygones when he is counting the minutes that are to make him one of them?A Day's Ride
Charles James Lever
I don't talk of these things; they are bygones, and I 'd as soon forget them.The Bramleighs Of Bishop's Folly
Charles James Lever
And under the circumstances we are quite willing to let bygones be bygones.Dave Porter At Bear Camp
- (usually prenominal) past; former
- (often plural) a past occurrence
- (often plural) an artefact, implement, etc, of former domestic or industrial use, now often collected for interest
- let bygones be bygones to agree to forget past quarrels
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for bygones
"things that are past," especially offenses, 1560s, from plural of noun use of bygone (q.v.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with bygones
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.