- a series of stitches used in knitting to produce a cable effect.
- the pattern produced by a cable-stitch.
- to produce such a stitch or pattern.
Origin of cable-stitch
First recorded in 1885–90
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a pattern or series of knitting stitches producing a design like a twisted rope
- (as modifier)a cable-stitch sweater
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012