- (sometimes lowercase) Cesarean.
Origin of Caesarean
- Also called Cesarean section, C-section. an operation by which a fetus is taken from the uterus by cutting through the walls of the abdomen and uterus.
- of or relating to a Cesarean.
- Caesarean(def 1).
Also Cae·sar·e·an, Caesarian, Cesarian (for defs 1, 2).
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for caesarean
But had I needed an epidural, had something gone wrong and I needed a caesarean, that would have been OK, too.Natural Childbirth Is Not a Cult
June 27, 2014
He had threatened to stop examining her if she continued to refuse a caesarean section.The Mom Forced to Have a C-Section
June 5, 2014
One Caesarean section: roughly $23,000, plus the additional cost of having 46 doctors and nurses in the room.The Dark Side of IVF
October 5, 2010
They've decided on the Caesarean, and I haven't got much time.A Choice of Miracles
James A. Cox
The story of the Caesarean operation attests the evolution of obstetrics.The Century of Columbus
James J. Walsh
We have created a Caesarean environment and a host of little Caesars has sprung up.
The Caesarean environment makes the Caesar, as the special food and the queenly cell make the queen bee.
I pulled one of the stories out by the roots, and left the other—a kind of literary Caesarean operation.The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
Caesarian US Cesarean or Cesarian (sɪˈzɛərɪən)
- of or relating to any of the Caesars, esp Julius Caesar
- (sometimes not capital) surgery
- short for Caesarean section
- (as modifier)Caesarean birth; Caesarean operation
- US variant spellings of Caesarean
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for caesarean
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Variant ofcesarean
- Of or relating to a cesarean section.
- A cesarean section.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.