- a restaurant, often with an enclosed or outdoor section extending onto the sidewalk.
- a restaurant, usually small and unpretentious.
- a barroom, cabaret, or nightclub.
Origin of café
SynonymsSee more synonyms for café on Thesaurus.com
- a small or inexpensive restaurant or coffee bar, serving light meals and refreshments
- Southern African a corner shop or grocer
Word Origin and History for café
1802, from French café "coffee, coffeehouse," from Italian caffe "coffee" (see coffee). The beverage was introduced in Venice by 1615 and in France from 1650s by merchants and travelers who had been to Turkey and Egypt. The first public café might have been the one opened in Marseilles in 1660.