- a dealer in bills of exchange.
- an expert in foreign exchange.
- a manual giving the moneys, weights, and measures of different countries, with their equivalents.
Origin of cambist
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for cambist
Historical Examples of cambist
Cambist, kam′bist, n. one skilled in the science of exchange.
- a dealer or expert in foreign exchange
- a manual of currency exchange rates and similar equivalents of weights and measures
Word Origin for cambist
C19: from French cambiste, from Italian cambista, from cambio (money) exchange
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012