- a state in SE Mexico, on the peninsula of Yucatán. 19,672 sq. mi. (50,950 sq. km).
- a seaport in and the capital of this state.
- Gulf of, the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico.
Examples from the Web for campeche
Contemporary Examples of campeche
Their Royal Highnesses will also visit Mexico City, Campeche and Monterrey.Charles and Camilla To Visit Mexico and Colombia
October 3, 2014
Historical Examples of campeche
The Spaniards sailed away, and did not settle at Campeche until 1541.
Lolonois had been in Campeche and was supposed to have perished in one of his forays.The History of Cuba, vol. 1
Willis Fletcher Johnson
Campeche was built on the site of an Indian city, and visited by Antonio Cordova in his first ill-fated expedition .
This place is the great dept for woods known as Campeche, and drives a brisk trade.
In 1517, Bernal Diaz noticed many figures of serpents in a temple he saw at Campeche.The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, Volume 3
Hubert Howe Bancroft
- a state of SE Mexico, on the SW of the Yucatán peninsula: forestry and fishing. Capital: Campeche. Pop: 205 000 (2005 est). Area: 56 114 sq km (21 666 sq miles)
- a port in SE Mexico, capital of Campeche state. Pop: 195 000 (2000 est)
- Bay of Campeche or Gulf of Campeche the SW part of the Gulf of Mexico