- a person who camps out for recreation, especially in the wilderness.
- a person who attends a summer camp or day camp.
- Also called pickup camper, truck camper. a trucklike vehicle, van, or trailer that is fitted or suitable for recreational camping, or a pickup truck on which a structure fitted for camping is mounted.
- to travel and live in a vehicular camper: We're going to camper for two weeks during our vacation.
Origin of camper
- a person who lives or temporarily stays in a tent, cabin, etc
- a vehicle equipped for camping out
1630s, "soldier," agent noun from camp (v.). Meaning "attendee at a camp meeting" is from 1806; meaning "one who sleeps in temporary quarters outdoors" is from 1856; that of "motor vehicle with sleeping quarters" is from 1960. Extended use of happy camper is from c.1987.