[ kant, kahnt ]
/ kænt, kɑnt /
contraction of cannot.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
British Dictionary definitions for can't
/ (kɑːnt) /
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Idioms and Phrases with can't
In addition to the idioms beginning with can't
- can't abide
- can't but
- can't complain
- can't do anything with
- can't fight City Hall
- can't help
- can't hit the broad side of a barn
- can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear
- can't make head or tail of
- can't punch one's way out of a paper bag
- can't see beyond the end of one's nose.
- can't seem to
- can't see the forest for the trees
- can't stand
- can't wait
- beggars can't be choosers
- if you can't beat them, join them
- you can't take it with you
- you can't win them all
Also see undercan.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.