- to make a canal or canals through.
- to convert into a canal.
- to divide (a stream) into reaches with locks or dams, usually to maintain navigable depths.
- to divert into certain channels; give a certain direction to or provide a certain outlet for.
Also especially British, can·al·ise.
Origin of canalize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- to provide with or convert into a canal or canals
- to give a particular direction to or provide an outlet for; channel
- to divide a channel into separate reaches controlled by dams and weirs to aid navigation, control water levels, generate power, etc