- Cape, a sandy reef in the Outer Banks, off E North Carolina, SW of Cape Hatteras: lighthouse.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the act of keeping watch against danger, etc
- a person or persons instructed or employed to keep such a watch, esp on a ship
- a strategic point from which a watch is kept
- informal worry or concernthat's his lookout
- mainly British outlook, chances, or view
- to heed one's behaviour; be carefullook out for the children's health
- to be on the watchlook out for my mother at the station
- (tr) to search for and findI'll look out some curtains for your new house
- (foll by on or over) to face in a particular directionthe house looks out over the moor
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for cape-lookout
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Idioms and Phrases with cape-lookout
see keep an eye out for (sharp lookout); on the lookout. Also see entries beginning with look out.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.