- a duplicate of anything written or typed, made by using a photocopier or, formerly, by using carbon paper. Abbreviation: cc
- a copy of an email or other electronic document that is sent to one or more people in addition to the primary addressee. Abbreviation: cc
- a near or exact duplicate of a given person or thing; replica: She's a carbon copy of her mother.
Origin of carbon copy
Related Words for carbon copycarbon, clone, copy, double, duplicate, facsimile, imitation, replica, reproduction, twin
- a duplicate copy of writing, typewriting, or drawing obtained by using carbon paperOften shortened to: carbon
- informal a person or thing that is identical or very similar to another
A person or thing that closely resembles another, as in Our grandson is a carbon copy of his dad. Originally this term meant a copy of a document made by using carbon paper. The linguistic transfer to other kinds of duplicate survived the demise of carbon paper (replaced by photocopiers, computer printers, and other more sophisticated devices). [c. 1870]