- the four chief directions of the compass; the north, south, east, and west points.
Origin of cardinal points
First recorded in 1540–50
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the four main points of the compass: north, south, east, and west
- One of four points in the pelvic inlet toward which the occiput of the fetus is usually directed in cases of head presentation.
- Any of six reference points in the eye: the anterior focal point, posterior focal point, two principal points, and two nodal points.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- One of the four principal directions on a compass (north, south, east, or west).
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.