- flesh-eating: A dog is a carnivorous animal.
- of the carnivores.
Origin of carnivorous
1640–50; < Latin carnivorus, equivalent to carni- (combining form of carō flesh) + -vorus -vorous
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (esp of animals) feeding on flesh
- (of plants such as the pitcher plant and sundew) able to trap and digest insects and other small animals
- of or relating to the Carnivora
- informal aggressively ambitious or reactionary
C17: from Latin carnivorus, from carō flesh + vorāre to consume
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for carnivorousness
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper